Do you have a Mac and are wondering if you need antivirus or not? In the previous year, many large organizations were hit with Petya ransomware and the WannaCry attacks. Thankfully, there are some steps to keep your device patched up and install a good quality antivirus software program.
Why do we need an antivirus?
You will get to hear about this often that Apple’s computers are secure and barely require protection. But the ongoing hacks are proving the statement wrong. Generally, Macs are more secure because macOS is a Unix-based operating system and hence sandboxed. Even if malware gains access to your Mac, it is next to impossible to spread to the heart of the machine. Macs are fewer than Windows Pcs, so they are harder to hack. Below are some antivirus programs that are proven to be the best in 2018:
Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac
It generally offers two kinds of security app for Mac, A free ‘Virus scanner for Mac’ and a paid Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac. Both of these use the same engine of Bitdefender to search and remove malware, but virus scanner for Mac uses a manual approach to scan your mac while Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac is equipped with many features to make process automatic and straightforward.
- Time machine Protection observes your time machine backups and resists ransomware attacks. The saved file will enable you to specify folders that will be monitored continuously.
- Adware removal will free your Mac from the unrequired ads.
- Bitdefender makes the use of traditional detection system and behavioral pattern recognition.
- Bitdefender uses a cloud-based data collection system which keeps most recently detected malware, adware and ransomware information.
Avast Free Mac Security
It uses a traditional method to scan the files for known Trojans, malware, and viruses. Avast can root out the rootkits and different approach that hacker uses to gain control. Avast also looks for PC malware to help in keeping the cross-platform infections from taking place. Avast uses real-time detection that always runs in the background. Avast can also have an impact on your Mac’s performance. Avast provides you with real-time detection. Below are some more Security concerns offered by Avast:
- Scheduled scans allow you to set time for Avast for Mac to run the routine scans. The big plus is moving the scheduled time to when it will least impact your workload.
- File shield can check all the files on Mac for heinous content. Data can also be reviewed by type of data or location on your device.
- Web shields blocks harmful websites from loading.
- Mail Shield doesn’t allow dangerous email attachments from downloading.
- Local Network scan makes sure that your home network and all other connected devices are free from the threat of predators.